Saturday, November 26, 2005


Syriana is one of the best films I've seen this year. Clooney has had a good year, with this and Goodnight and Good Luck. Since it was made by the same guy who wrote Traffic, there have have been a lot of comparisons, and it is similar to Traffic in some ways, but the stories in this one are more connected, each one affecting the other. There's also been a lot of talk about this being just left-wing liberal propaganda, just like Goodnight and Good Luck was labeled, but I think that is an unfair statement to make. Steven Gagahan really did his research, and he used an ex-CIA agents memoirs as one source, so all he does is present the bitter reality of the current world we live in. He doesn't give us answers, just shows us the problem, which everyone I think should see through this film.

Also, Spielberg's new movie should also be pretty controversial like Syriana. This is a pretty interesting article on Munich's release and lack of publicity.