Sunday, May 08, 2005

ridley's scott's off day


yeah, just saw Kingdom of Heaven. not impressed. I didn't expect much to begin with after reading some of the reviews, but minus the fact that the script had a million flaws, the real reason I was disappointed was Ridley Scott. Don't get me wrong, Ridley Scott could make the canonization of the new testament seem exciting, but it just felt like he was going on auto-pilot on this one. Every action scene was like Gladiator, where in that movie it was innovative when he changed the shutter speed during the battle scenes, but here, it just became old fast. And I won't even go into the one-dimensional character Orlando Bloom played (and he didn't remove the doubts I have that he can carry Cameron Crowe's Elizabethtown later this year), I'll just say, and I hate comparing this to Gladiator but I have to, Maximus was someone you could care about, yes, he was out for revenge for his family, but over the course of that film, you actually cared for him, I didn't care at all whether Bailian or whatever his name was lived or died, he was a one-note character to me. Man, I hope Ridley Scott, if he makes Tripoli doesn't turn in another typical and trite epic like this one was.