Friday, May 27, 2005

"I have failed you, Anakin."


yeah, i wasn't gonna talk about what I thought about Revenge of the Sith because basically the first time I saw it, I had no thoughts on it at all. After seeing it again last night, without the hype or kids running around twirling lightsabers in the theater (and no, i wasn't doing that the first time, even though some might think i was) i enjoyed it a lot more. I think overall its a great film, minus a few faults, one of the big ones being for me is that I didn't think Anakin's turn to the dark side was believable enough, it just didn't connect with me. I think the whole first hour is decent, the whole General Grievous storyline was cool, but could have done without, but man, the third act is just tragic. I keep thinking of the shot of Obi-Wan standing in the doorway of the ship as Padme realizes Anakin is with the dark side now. The entire duel between the two of them is fantastic, mainly because of Ewan McGregor's outstanding performance. Obi-Wan really shines in this movie, and its heartbreaking to watch the scene when Obi Wan leaves Anakin to die alone. I think this isn't up there in the league of A New Hope or Empire, but its close. I'm looking forward to seeing it for a third time, and maybe I'll like it even more.